So, i open up my Word Press account on Monday to a little orange trophy, which said “hip hip hooray congrats on your one year blogging queen status!” (something like that).
I can’t believe that it’s been one year since I started posting all of my thoughts and feelings online for strangers and friends to read. I’m so happy that I decided to blog though, I think four gazillion people have run up to me saying “OMG I love your blog!” and half the time I’m like hey cool, who are you? but 100000% I smile, my heart’s warmed, and I feel happy and fluttery that someone likes what I have to say and cares enough to read it.
I’ll let you in on something, I felt like a fish in high school, kinda swimming by, seen but not heard, and talked over a lot. I’ve always had a lot going on in my mind, but never really had it in me to ramble on like Led Zeppelin. There a few things I just wanted to say, didn’t know how to or who to tell, finally I ended up with a blog.
I can’t believe what this blog has done. I’ve gone from three random fellow WordPress user followers to having my pages read over 35,000 times, joined a blogging network and a Facebook page of 65 “likes”. But, I didn’t do any of this by myself (even though I think I’ve checked out the blog page 35,000 times today). And I’d like to thank some special people out there who’ve helped me out:
- Thanks to Sarah, for encouraging me to apply to the Her Campus Blogging Network
- Thanks to Brayden, Colin, and the Red Eye Cookie Company for supporting me and the blog (also a thank you for perfecting the red velvet and espresso cookie)
- Thank you to WordPress for being a functioning and free blog supporting website. Without you, I would probably be on BlogSpot.
- Thank you, Hannah, for being one of my biggest fans, reading and supporting me from the start.
- Thanks Cailyn, for being the blog’s number one fan. I don’t think anyone shares posts as much as you do. I’m so grateful that you like it so much!
- Thank you to Alison, Brad, Jasmine, Luke, Janey, Phoebe, Jenna, and Elizabeth for being such loyal and awesome readers!
- Thank you Sean….even though you didn’t read my blog for months, you eventually started and and encouraged me once to switch to YouTube vlogging so I could get paid.
- Thanks to the random guy who Facebooked me once telling me how much he liked my blog. You have no idea how much that means to me, Because people like you are exactly what keep me going.
- And just an overall thank you to everyone who has ever read any of my posts, smiled, laughed, shared, and simply enjoyed it. It’s you guys that keep me going.
- Thank you Bon Air Library, which encouraged my passion of books that fed into my passion of writing
- Thanks to Urban Farmhouse, who posted my blog on their Midlo location once on their Facebook page
- Thanks to anyone and everyone who shared my “You’ve Experienced Richmond If..” post 30+ times, I’m still in shock over how much people enjoyed and connected to it.
- Thanks to VCU, for having such weird but extremely awesome people, places and situations to write about as well as pool of hot guys to fantasize about.
- Thank you Richmond, for nurturing me, being my home and my heart, giving me such amazing things to experience, write about, and showing me the beauty of a tight knit small-big city
- Thanks to my brain, who is creative enough to enjoy writing and crazy enough to do this for a year
- Thanks to my teachers, past and present, elementary school to middle and high school to college, who gave me the tools to be here and encourage me to keep going. (Shoutout to Mrs. Gallo, Ms Benere, and Mrs. Hoggatt!)
- Thanks to Clare, my fairy godmother, for being an awesome fellow writer/blogger/lover of food and supportive sweetheart (with a pretty great name)
- Thanks to my grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins who constantly encourage me and send nothing but love
- Thanks to my godfather, who bought me a laptop, my nifty little tool that a majority of my blogging has been done on
- Thanks to my brother, whose way of showing support is saying “Your blog is awful. No one reads it and you should stop”.
- Thank you Daddy, Uncle Peter, Grandpa and Grandaddy for watching over me and being my guardian angels through this little journey.
- And a special thank you to Momma G, who has been behind this blog 100% since I first told her the big idea. Thank you for always reading, encouraging people to read, sending my posts to your friends, talking it up, pretty much being the blog’s PR. If I was getting paid for this, I would give you a portion, but since this is free, why I don’t I cook dinner?
Thank you for staying with me for the past year, all of you. I’m so happy that you’ve enjoyed it all enough to keep reading and I hope that we can stay here for a few more…until we at least tackle one of our beginning objectives: to document the get outta college debt free deal. Thanks for standing by with me, listening to me, hearing my stories and feelings-all those feelings-you’ve kinda grown into a friend. Man, I really appreciate that. Love you boo, and I can’t wait to see where you, me, and this blog end up next.
“And these tend inward to me, and I tend outward to them,
And such as it is to be of these more or less I am,
And of these one and all I weave the song of myself”
-Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Extra treat for anyone who’s scrolling down all the way! Here are the top 5 blog posts here:
- You’ve Experienced Richmond If…
- If Disney Princesses Were VCU Students
- Planet Granite
- Little Richmond Girl
- What Saint Gertrude Didn’t Teach Me
And here’s the post that started it all one year ago!